These lemon poppyseed cupcakes are from the book, Bake Me I'm Yours... Cupcake Love, by Zoe Clark. It is such a good book and I love the ideas she has given for decorating cupcakes as well as all her recipes. These cupcakes are yummy and very light and fluffy. You can also switch the lemon for orange, which is equally tasty. The only thing I have changed is not soaking the poppyseeds in milk as I found the texture a little too crunchy, but that is my personal preference.
Recipe for Lemon poppyseed cupcakes (makes 12)
1 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
2 tsp lemon zest
240g self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Sift flour and add poppyseeds to the flour. Add flour mixture to egg, folding in til just combined.
- Add milk and fold into mixture.
- Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack.