Thursday, October 27, 2011
When I was making the farm cake for my friend's daughter, I also made some bees and ladybugs to put on cupcakes and on the main cake as well. So I decided to multi-task and take some photos along the way on how I made my ladybugs and bees.
They are both very simple to do and here is my way of making a simple fondant bee.
1. Roll a ball of yellow fondant into a tear drop.
2. Cut thin strips of black fondant and lay them over the yellow. Tuck the strips under and cut off any excess strips.
3. Roll 2 balls of white fondant into a tear drop. Press flat to form wings.
4. Use two tiny pieces of black fondant for the eyes. You can also use a toothpick and simply poke two tiny holes for the eyes. I used a modelling tool for creating the smile but you can use a small round tip and press half the tip into the front of the face to get the curve.
5. Leave to dry and then place on cake or cupcakes. I used some buttercream icing to secure it to my cake.
And there you have a very simple and easy fondant bee! I hope you have fun making them. :)