Friday, October 7, 2011

Date, ginger and apple cake {Recipe}


Ever since moving to New Zealand, I have enjoyed the different flavours this country has had to offer.  This date and ginger cake is one such flavour.  I do not know if it is a Kiwi flavour but I do know it was the first time I tried this combination here.  Although I am not so keen on dates, this flavour combination is actually quite lovely and this is one of my favourite cakes to bake now.  The original recipe was taken from Taste.com.au and I have adjusted the measurements a little for sugar as I wanted it less sweet (the dates add sweetness to the cake).  I also added some apple for a more moist cake.  You may also add walnuts to it if you like them and chop the dates and ginger more roughly if you prefer them that way.

Here is the recipe for my date, ginger and apple cake.

125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup (150g) pitted dates, finely chopped
3/4 cup (125g) crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 apple, peeled and chopped finely


  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.  Grease and line a square tin (18cm).
  2. Place butter, dates, sugar, ginger, apple, water and salt in a saucepan.  Heat over medium-high heat and bring to boil.   Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and add the baking soda.  Mixture will foam.  Then transfer to a bowl to cool slightly (5-10 minutes).
  4. Add egg to slightly cooled mixture and mix well.  Sift in flour and fold to combine.
  5. Spoon into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until done.  Cool in pan for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.  Serve.
[Recipe adapted from Taste.com.au]

Happy baking! :)

2 comments:

  1. What about the finely chopped Apple? When do we add those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the apple to the date mixture in step 2. Thanks for pointing that out :) I will update the recipe.

      Delete